Assisted Living February 2, 2023

Free Assisted Living Resources in Texas

Health Information, Counseling and Advocacy Program (HICAP)

Texans who need information, referrals and assistance in various matters related to aging and health insurance may benefit from the services of HICAP. Staff can provide some legal advice, such as a case file review, and assist with Medicare Part D and Social Security. They can also help veterans receive the benefits they’re entitled to.

Help is available for residents aged 60 or older and Medicare beneficiaries of any age.

Contact: Call (512) 477-6000 during normal business hours for more information.



Long-Term Care Ombudsman

Seniors who live in an assisted living facility or nursing home, as well as their family members, can seek help and information from a long-term care ombudsman. These officials act as advocates for the resident by explaining their rights and attempting to remedy relevant issues. The LTC ombudsman can also give advice about long-term care facilities in Texas and how to receive financial assistance.

Contact: Call (800) 252-2412 for more information, or email



Texas Agencies


Texas Health and Human Services (HHS)

Address: HHS local office search
Phone Number: (855) 937-2372

Texas Health and Human Services is the state agency responsible for aging, disability, long-term care, caregiver support and related services. HHS staff and contractors can assist residents in gaining access to federal and Texas benefit programs, coordinate in-home care and meal delivery and recommend assisted living facilities or other appropriate long-term care. This agency is also an advocate for current residents of assisted living and nursing facilities.

Many programs and services are available for any Texan aged 60 or older, while some services are reserved for people on a low income.



Area Agencies on Aging in Texas


There are dozens of Area Agencies on Aging across the state that provide senior Texans, family members and caregivers with unbiased advice on aging-related issues and referrals to appropriate services in their local area. Staff can help residents apply for benefits and support services as well as provide care coordination.

AAA staff are also involved in the application and assessment process for many of the financial assistance programs available in Texas. Call (800) 252-9240 or view the AAA directory for local details.



Veterans Affairs Offices in Texas


The Department of Veterans Affairs is responsible for providing monthly pensions for eligible veterans and their families. The VA offers a range of other services, such as education, employment and disability grants. Texans who live in an assisted living facility may benefit from the health care advocacy program, and they may be eligible for additional financial assistance from the Aid and Attendance benefit.

Call the national VA help line at (844) 698-2311 or view the list of Texas offices and hospitals. Alternatively, contact the Texas Veterans Commission for assistance with claims, appeals and other disputes.


Social Security Offices in Texas


The Social Security Administration is responsible for distributing Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits to millions of Americans each month. Texans aged 65 or over may be eligible if they’re within the income and resource limits. People of any age who meet the criteria for disability status may also be eligible.

Eligibility for SSI benefits is useful in securing other benefits and services for seniors in Texas, and it’s mandatory for some programs, which makes it an important step in cutting the cost of assisted living. Texans can find their local Social Security office on the official website.



Click here for more information.