One of the fun parts about buying a house is going to tour potential homes! Purchasing a home is one of the largest investments that you will probably make so making a sound decision about which home to purchase is key. There are quite a few things to look for in a potential home purchase, so being able to spot foundation issues before you buy could save you a lot of trouble down the road. Here are some of the most common signs of possible foundation issues you’ll want to look for:
1. Doors and windows that are misaligned or sticking
2. Sloping or sagging of the floor
3. Cracks in the brick
4. Cracks in the foundation inside or outside
5. Gaps or cracks around doors or windows
6. Cracks in the sheetrock
7. Damp walls, leaks, or water intrusion
8. Investigate any musty smells
9. Pay attention to the chimney, especially if it’s leaning
10. Cracks or bowing in the ceiling
11. Cracks in floor tile
If foundation issues are found, it might sound like a dead end, but this isn’t always the case. Some foundation issues can be easily fixed, and some may be extensive, and cost more than you bargained for. For a smaller foundation issue, the starting cost is generally around $3000 while a major foundation may cost $10,000 or more.
If you or your home inspector spots any of these issues, it’s best to contact a professional to have them evaluated so that you know what you are in for before your make the purchase. As always, your trusted Coldwell Banker Community Realtors real estate professional will be able to guide you to resources that will help you make the best decision for your home buying journey. Contact us today with any of your real estate needs or questions!